Shane Observer Information
To see the Deadlines and the Most Recent call for proposals please see Calls for Proposals, Deadlines, and Schedules page.
Call for Proposals
Call for Proposals for the Shane 3m telescope at Lick Observatory. Lick Observatory’s scientific impact manifests itself in several ways:
- Lick and the Shane 3m telescope can undertake observing programs that require substantially more observing time than is available at 8-10m telescopes.
- Lick provides a testbed for new and improved technologies, both in instrumentation and in observing techniques.
- Graduate students and postdocs can write their own observing proposals and lead their own programs, gaining valuable experience in scientific planning and leadership.
- Proposals for large and/or long-term programs on the Shane 3-m telescope are encouraged.
- Guidelines for the structure of such proposals can be found at: http://ucolick.org/home/resources/observers/shane-lsap.html
Proposals for use of the 3-m Shane reflector will be submitted online in a process very similar to that used for UC Keck proposals.
Other useful links:
Shane 3-m Telescope Manual:
Guidelines for preparing 3-m proposals:
Instruments available are:
Kast Spectrograph – Dual channel optical spectrometer:
Hamilton Spectrograph – High-resolution optical echelle spectrometer: http://mthamilton.ucolick.org/techdocs/instruments/hamspec/
Links to information about Shane AO and ShARCS are the following: